Wednesday 21 March 2018

Grandma and Grandad arrive, Julie, Goa

Grandma and Grandad arrive

There was no hope of getting Max and Milo to school last Tuesday. Andrew's mum and dad were due to arrive at 9 in the morning so we had to make another apology to school to say why the boys weren't there . The day before they had made a welcome banner to hold up at the exit. While we were waiting at the airport, it made lots of people smile as they passed by. Grandma and Grandad appeared on time and the boys were so pleased to see them.
The journey back to the house wasn't too bad ( about an hour and a quarter) and luckily it was a bit cloudy so the heat wasn't as intense. They hadn't had any sleep so we had a calm day at the day with a gentle walk to the club house. Our kind neighbours ,Salma and Merdad, have lent us their bikes so we can use them as well.
Mala was beaming when she saw our guests and immediately set about cooking Indian food.  I did repeat several times "little spice" , and she got the message. (Mala and Arjun have one level of dinner and we have another and we have to encourage her not to get carried away with the chillies. I would hate to mix their dinner with ours , I dread to think how spicy it is !)


Andrew's sister has used FaceTime a few times and it is quite amusing as she always seems to appear in her night clothes as she contacts us early in the morning. She always forgets that it is a different time of the day here and that we have people with us ! Hopefully Mala will get to see her dressed properly one day !


After a stormy weekend , we got up at 3 am and set off for the airport to go to Goa.  We arrived in plenty of time but as usual nothing went smoothly. Men and women are checked separately so we were split up. Christine and I went through and put our phones etc in the boxes for our x ray machines. We Went through without any problems and then went to meet the others. Milo's bag was being searched because one of his toys looked like a bullet . It was an army car or something. As we looked for the gate , Christine said she didn't have her phone. We went back to security and asked . Luckily,there was the phone in one of the boxes waiting to be collected. That was a relief.
A second toilet trip was needed for the boys and then Andrew got an alert to say that the plane was leaving soOn and boarding was closing ! Panic set in and we started to walk/ run. We just got to the bus  in time as it set off for the plane. It was very close.
The journey took 55 minutes and because we only had hand luggage , we were straight out and in the waiting car supplied by the resort to go to Palolem which was an hour and a half away .
This journey was quite interesting and it was best to shut your eyes and hope for the best as there was a lot of dodgy overtaking on both sides of the road but we made it safely .

We were on the beach by 9:30 am ! The sea was like warm bath water . I thought that the boys were tricking me to get me in the sea but it was so warm .

We have a beach hut right on the beach with air conditioning, a fan , a small fridge . It is beautiful sitting beneath the coconut trees. The boys have a bunk bed and we have a king size .

Derek and Christine have a hut behind with an upstairs balcony with sea view .

The food is fantastic and basically we have not moved further than 100ft since we got here.

This morning was exciting as there was a boat trip to see some dolphins in the bay and a herd of calves marched a long the beach .

The only downside is that the three white boys have overdone it in the sun surfing and swimming and are all red and burnt. My warnings were ignored and they are spending the day in the shade today . Let's hope they can cope tomorrow and Friday morning before we go back to Bangalore .
Meanwhile, we'll just have to sit and watch the blue sea and the beautiful sunsets .

Update ! April 2024

  20 people sharing 2 menus! When we go to a restaurant, we seem to spend a lot of time trying to keep a straight face so that we do not ups...